SAP Software Knowledge Base – Radio Frequency Framework
Highlights of SAP S/4HANA® Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) Radio Frequency (RF) Framework
By providing an RF framework, greater efficiency and fast error-free data communication can be attained in the warehouse, through the use of mobile RF devices, such as Zebra mobile RF scanners, handhelds, rugged tablets, vehicle-mounted terminals, wearables, and more. The RF framework satisfies the following objectives:
- Decouples business logic from the physical presentation of application data on a selected presentation device.
- Supports a large variety of device sizes, device types, and data entry types.
- Provides appropriate forms of data presentation according to application data, device capabilities, and user preferences.
- Calls appropriate services according to resource inputs (such as verification/input data, keystroke, or logon request).
- Enables personalized menus and screens.
- Enables flexible and user-friendly screen and flow logic generation and modification.
The SAP RF framework supports GUI, character-based devices, and browser-based devices.
- ITS Mobile for connecting browser-based devices. The RF framework, with ITS Mobile, is the recommended architecture for mobile warehouse transactions.
- GUI devices are connected to the SAP system just like any other client-dependent PC. The screens can be touch screens, using predefined pushbuttons, or they can be operated using a keyboard. If you’re using touch screens, you simply touch the appropriate positions on the touch screen instead of clicking with the mouse on a pushbutton.
- Character-based devices are linked to the system through SAP Console. SAP Console operates on a Windows® server and interacts with the RF terminals connected to it. While mature, this architecture is currently supported by SAP and equipment manufacturer’s such as Zebra Technologies, Honeywell, and others.
Barcode Support – The SAP RF framework supports the use of barcodes for (automated) identification and verification purposes. SAP currently supports GS1-128 barcode types. However, RF barcode scanning systems implemented by BCC Distribution can support numerous other types of barcode symbologies. Examples include, but are not limited to, Code 128, Composite and GS1-128 barcodes, EAN and UPC barcodes, Code 39, Datalogic and Interleaved 2 of 5, ISBT, HIBC, and 2-D barcodes such as QR Codes, PDF 417, Data Matrix, Aztec barcodes, plus many more.
Screen Layout Personalization – Through a best practice approach to analysis and design, BCCD can configure and customize the appearance of RF presentation screens, so as to ensure that they’re consistent with the attributes of the presentation devices being used, and also in a manner that optimizes inventory processes: ease of use, minimal words and screens, RF Menu personalization, utilization of optimal SAP transaction codes or combination of transactions, portrait or landscape screen mode, standardized change management, etc. Contact BCC Distribution to learn more about customization of Mobile Data Entry, Radio Frequency (RF) Framework, and/or SAP RF Screen Manager.
Standard SAP S/4HANA RF Features – The SAP RF framework provides standard RF features, including the following:
- Work execution transactions for the following warehouse processes:
|Receiving||Packing||Maintaining Handling Units|
|Putaway||Physical Inventory||Labor Management|
|Unloading||Picking||Performing Floor Checks|
Additional SAP S/4HANA RF Features – Implementation and enablement of standard SAP RF features and functions may not be enough for your business and require additional considerations specific to your manufacturing process, IT and deployment strategy, equipment utilization, or many other aspects. BCC Distribution has designed, mobilized, and optimized over 200 RF scanning transactions, with integrated barcode printing, for Inventory Management (IM), Warehouse Management (WM), and including EWM. Learn more: https://tranasap-us.com/tranasap/
Functionality described is for SAP S/4HANA® and SAP ECC 6.0® customers and leveraging SAP Console, SAP ITSmobile, or SAP Fiori / UI5 platform connectivity, combined with 802.11 wireless (WLAN), as well as certified mobile devices such as Zebra RF scanners, vehicle computers, and enterprise tablets. Images shown may not depict the complete RF transaction, flow, or all user interactions, nor the most applicable Zebra RF barcode scanner. Software and equipment requirements vary from business to business, and are based on gap analysis and blueprinting, application requirements, and best-practice recommendations. Best practice standards are vital to create consistent and easy-to-use screens (UI or user interface) for mobile users, as well as to meet enterprise requirements for standardization. BCC Distribution designs each IM, WM, and/or EWM mobile SAP software transaction specifically for mobile handheld RF barcode scanners, rugged tablets, wearable devices, vehicle-mounted terminals, and more. These apps are designed using a minimal amount of words, automating data entry fields, and are optimized specifically to make the mobile SAP RF scanning and barcode printing system extremely easy to use for the operator. BCCD’s TranASAP software solution is developed for real-time, directly-integrated architecture, using the above SAP-certified software development platforms and connectivity tools.
Contact BCC Distribution to illustrate how RF barcode scanning, data collection, and barcode printing automation can optimize SAP S/4HANA® and SAP ECC 6.0® Inventory Management, Warehouse Management, and/or Extended Warehouse Management specific to your inventory control and tracking process for manufacturing, warehousing, and distribution operations.
SAP® References: SAP Strategy for Mobile Warehousing in S/4HANA Session 84117, and SAP S/4HANA Help Portal – Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) Radio Frequency (RF) Framework.